Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Too little dirt...


I have too little dirt and two little dirts.  Urban farming is urban for sure!  I remember growing up in Illinois and whenever my mother needed some more soil, it was easy to find... and free.  The kids and I built a raised bed which is 4ft x 4ft x 1ft, that's 16 cubic feet of soil needed to fill it.  If we are going to be successful, I need to find a good, plentiful, and cheap source of planting soil!  My brother, Ryan, suggested that I ask hired gardeners in the neighborhood about soil, I'll do that today.  It's L.A., nobody does their own yard work.  Weird.



As for the two little dirts, that's what I call Hudson & Noe.  Here's a shot of them at the beach, last week, trying to catch a pigeon.  "Little Dirt" isn't a mean thing, it's an endearing term my family uses.  I'm not sure why my father called my brother and I little dirts, but it just seemed fitting for my kids too!  Looking back through old family photos, maybe the term was coined because of this day.  I think I'll ask next time I chat with my folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment