Friday, January 22, 2010

Rain Powered Factory

News flash!  It's raining in Los Angeles.  Yeah, I know this information isn't new, but today feels like the heaviest rain yet!  I mean, the tree in front of my son's school fell over and was blocking the sidewalk.  That's gotta count for something.  Seriously though, it has rained harder today than any other.



The nice part about all this rain is that we were in a drought, I think we've caught up.  Heh heh.  More good news, I've been in the wood working mood.  I don't really feel like finishing the cinder block wall in the rain, so my workshop has had a lot of company from me lately.  Today, I milled down the wood Ardavan and I picked up.  The rain is so relentless that I just kept working and working.  After a few hours of cutting and drilling, I took a step back to snap off this shot.  It looks like I'm running a planter box factory.



The planter boxes in the above photo are 4ft x 4ft, but I have a spot for another planter box that needs to be much bigger.  How big?  Glad you asked.  4ft x 20ft!  I know I sound crazy, but I came up with a good plan.  The 4ft x 4ft boxes sure are easy to pick up and walk out to the Sustainable Urban Farm.  A 4ft x 20ft box would not be so easy, or even possible for that matter.  Legos.  Yes... Legos were my inspiration.  They don't really look like Legos and they're wooden, but the panels fit together great!  I built eight of them that are five feet long.  That's four panels per side for a grand total of twenty feet.  Once they are all put together, I'll cap each end with a four foot panel and a couple of supports just like the 4ft x 4ft planter boxes.





Now, the total size of farm-able planter boxes is 144 square feet!  Throw in the cinder block structure which is going to be 11ft x 5ft & that bumps the grand total up to 199 square feet.  That's crazy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment