Wednesday, March 24, 2010

S.U.F.P.S.R.B.'s Find a New Home

We had a momentous occasion with the arrival of our first orange blossom!  It is very exciting to think that there is a good chance that we will have lots of oranges!  Just wait to see how happy I get when we pick the first fruits.  It is almost impossible to count how many blossoms are exploding all over this tree!

The blueberries are also flowering and we have seen the first sign of what looks like a future berry!  Still a little green, but the warm Southern California sun will change that.

The apples are growing too!



Lately, I've noticed a native plant growing around the base of all the tree rings.  Once I pulled the grasses and weeds, this native plant revealed itself even more.  It is a beautiful, creepy crawly, little plant.  For whatever reason, it is most populous around the peach tree.  If anyone happens to know what it is, feel free to post a comment.
  


Do you remember the S.U.F.P.S.R.B.'s?  Well, our son's school was in need of some serious love.  There was a planter box that was 20 years old + and happened to become unsafe.  Nails started to stick out and the sides were falling apart.  The other parents and myself decided to do something about.  Last Saturday, we planned a Parent Beautification day and ripped that nasty ole thing apart.  Granted, planted boxes were needed and I happened to have quite a few still not full of soil, so donations they became.  They look great!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Willie - Just found your comment on my blog, for some reason it was in my Spam folder. Looking at your site, all I can say is WOW!!!!! You are a true urban farmer, with a busy street, narrow parking strip, and big big ambitions of sustainability. You are my total hero! Do people respect your garden and not trash it? Looks pristine, so I hope the answer is yes! I grow food in my parking strip but nothing so tempting as sweet oranges... although I do have little alpine strawberries and so far I haven't noticed any going missing. Keep up the good work - I am so in awe of your amazing project!!!

    ReplyDelete