Tuesday, February 9, 2010

S.U.F.P.S.R.B.

Dirt has been an issue for awhile now.  I've built all of the raised beds that I'm going to build and now I'm just waiting on dirt.  The cinder block planter bed needed some reinforcing, so I picked up three bags of quickcrete. I had no idea that stuff was so inexpensive.  $2.95 for sixty pounds.  I'm working on the wall and along comes my good buddy, and manager of the auto shop, Magnus.  He told me that some people had complained about my wooden planter beds.  He said they had hit their car door on it and were very unhappy.  I can respect the fact that they are pressed right up next to the curb and it could make it hard to exit a vehicle.



Magnus said people should pay more attention and that they planter boxes should stay, but his boss doesn't want to hurt his business or offend the community.  So, the raised beds had to go!  Thank God, I was lackin' on dirt.

Thinking about all the time and energy that went into finding the wood, cutting it, building the boxes, and then painting them... I felt a little sad.  Knowing that they never had dirt in them made it easier for me to move them and mentally let go.

Then "it" came to me like lightening on my brain!  People weren't complaining about the planter beds!  People were complaining about hitting their car doors.  What if the people didn't have to worry about their doors and I could still have beds?  That would solve everything.  This whole Sustainable Urban Farm has been birthed out of seeing an opportunity and making it work.  How is this little moment of adversity any different?

My friend Gregory is in from Canada for a week and we got to talking.  Long story short, we brainstormed the new and improved "S.U.F.P.S.R.B."!  Sounds great right?  Ha ha ha.  Sustainable Urban Farm Pint Sized Raised Bed.  We took the whole thing apart, cut two of the sides down to two feet and put it back together.  Instead of 4ft x 4ft, they are now 2ft x 4ft.  This leaves 24 extra inches of room for car doors.  Now, there is actually more room to open a car door than where trees are planted.  Of course there is less square footage to plant per box, so I'm just going to have to double the amount of boxes to compensate.  Ha ha ha.  Seriously.



No comments:

Post a Comment